Acting on behalf of a pensioner

The Pensions Shared Service can only accept instructions from a person acting on behalf of a pensioner if that person is legally authorised to do so.

This means that you have been authorised by the Court of Protection to help someone without mental capacity or our pensioner member has chosen you to act for them by either:

  • An ‘ordinary power of attorney’ (you can only use this while they have mental capacity) or
  • A lasting power of attorney

If you have been appointed as an attorney or deputy and are acting on behalf of a pensioner, please send us the original Power of Attorney or Court of Protection Order. It will then be noted on the pensioner’s record that you may instruct us on the pensioner’s behalf. 

The original document will be returned to you immediately.

Find out more information on making decisions on behalf of someone on GOV.UK.